DC Comics announces that Vertigo will get relaunched with seven new comic books, which follows the recent announcement of Neil Gaiman's Sandman Universe.Â
Read the official announcement for more and check out the art:
DC ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES VERTIGO RETURNS TO ITS ROOTS WITH A LINE-WIDE RELAUNCH AND DC VERTIGO REBRAND, HELMED BY NEW EXECUTIVE EDITOR MARK DOYLE
DC Entertainment is celebrating 25 years of graphic storytelling with a line-wide relaunch and rebranding, returning to where it all began with DC Vertigo. Following the news of a Neil Gaiman-curated Sandman Universe imprint, DC Vertigo will continue to expand its slate with seven new series from bold voices across various entertainment backgrounds including novels, games, television, comics and more.
The relaunch is helmed by Mark Doyle, who returned to DC Vertigo last year afterÂ oversight ofÂ the Batman group of titles for DC. Under his leadership, DC Vertigo editorial is rededicating its focus to creating modern, socially relevant, high-concept, inventiveÂ stories appealing to readers of all genres.
DC Vertigo has curated seven new comic books giving writers and artists the creative freedom to tell their most imaginative stories. Kicking off the next 25 years of DC Vertigo, four monthly series will launch this fall/winter, while the remaining titles will follow in early 2019. The lineup includes:
- BORDER TOWNÂ fromÂ writerÂ Eric M. EsquivelÂ (Adventure Time, Starburns Presents)Â with art and covers byÂ Ramon VillalobosÂ (Nighthawk, America) will debut in September
When a crack in the border between worlds releases an army of monsters from Mexican folklore into the small town of Devilâ€™s Fork, Arizona, the residents blame the ensuing weirdnessâ€”the shared nightmares, the otherworldly radio transmissions, the mysterious goat mutilationsâ€”on â€śGod-dang illegals.â€ť With racial tensions supernaturally charged, itâ€™s up to new kid in town Frank Dominguez and a motley crew of high school misfits to discover whatâ€™s REALLY going on
- HEX WIVESÂ from writerÂ Ben BlackerÂ (co-creator ofÂ The Thrilling Adventure Hour) with art byÂ Mirka AndolfoÂ (WONDER WOMAN, SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL) will debut in October
â€śThe women are too powerful. They must be tamed.â€ť A malevolent conspiracy of men brainwashes a coven of witches to be subservient, suburban housewives. But itâ€™s only a matter of time before the women remember their power...
- AMERICAN CARNAGEÂ fromÂ writerÂ Bryan HillÂ (TITANSÂ show set to launch on the DC-branded digital service, MICHAEL CRAY) with art byÂ Leandro FernandezÂ (THE NAMES,Â The Punisher Max) will debut in November
In this thrilling crime saga, disgraced FBI agent Richard Wright, who is biracial but can pass for white, goes undercover in a white supremacist group believed to be responsible for the death of a fellow agent.
- GODDESS MODEÂ from writerÂ ZoĂ« QuinnÂ (Crash Override,Â featured in Peopleâ€™sÂ 25 Women Who Are Changing the WorldÂ and Forbesâ€™Â 30 Under 30)Â with art byÂ Robbi RodriguezÂ (Spider-Gwen,Â FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS) will debut in December
In a near future where all of humanityâ€™s needs are administered by a godlike A.I., itâ€™s one young womanâ€™s horrible job to do tech support on it. But when Cassandra finds herself violently drawn into a hidden and deadly digital world beneath our own, she discovers a group of super-powered women and horrific monsters locked in a secret war for the cheat codes to reality.
- HIGH LEVELÂ from writerÂ Rob SheridanÂ (former art director for Nine Inch Nails, co-creator of theÂ Year ZeroÂ alternate reality game) with art byÂ Barnaby BagendaÂ (THE OMEGA MEN, GREEN LANTERNS) will debut in 2019
Hundreds of years after the world ended and human society was rebuilt from scratch, a self-interested smuggler with a price on her head is forced to traverse a new continent of danger and mystery to deliver a child messiah to High Level, a mythical city at the top of the world from which no one has ever returned.
- SAFE SEXÂ from writerÂ Tina HornÂ (host/producer ofÂ Why Are People Into That?Â podcast, writer/journalist/lecturer in sexual education and activism) and artistÂ Mike Dowling(UNFOLLOW,Â 2000 AD) will debut in 2019
A dystopian sci-fi thriller about a ragtag team of sex workers fighting for the freedom to love in a world where sexual pleasure is monitored, regulated and policed by the government.
- SECOND COMINGÂ from writerÂ Mark RussellÂ (God Is Disappointed in You,Â THE FLINTSTONES) with art byÂ Richard PaceÂ (IMAGINARY FIENDS) will debut in 2019
God sends Jesus to Earth in hopes that he will learn the family trade from Sun-Man, an all-powerful superhero, who is like the varsity quarterback son God never had. But, upon his return to Earth, Christ is appalled to discover what has become of his Gospel and vows to set the record right.Â
â€śItâ€™s time to rebuild DC Vertigo,â€ť explains Doyle. â€śWeâ€™re returning to our roots by spotlighting the most exciting new voices in comics, as well as bringing new voicesÂ toÂ comics. From the corners of television, games, music, activism, podcasting, comics and more, all of our creators are passionate and have something to say. These sophisticated stories have amazing new characters and vast worlds to explore. Thatâ€™s what it has always been about for meâ€”new stories, new voices, new possibilities. Weâ€™re creating a new generation of DC Vertigo classics for readers of all genres.â€ť
Prior to being named DC Vertigoâ€™s Executive Editor, Doyle began his career in comics at Vertigo in 2006. He went on to oversee the Batman family of titles, where he edited Scott Snyder and Greg Capulloâ€™sÂ New York TimesÂ best-selling run on BATMAN. He also led the charge in crafting Gotham-based series with varying tones such as GOTHAM ACADEMY, BATGIRL, GRAYSON and more. Doyle returns to launch DC Vertigo with a passion to bring the imprint back to the forefront of graphic storytelling.