Suicide Squad Issues Include Drama & Lots Of Cuts
Yesterday saw the early Suicide Squad reviews hit Rotten Tomatoes giving it a dismal rating; actually today the rating is even lower at 32%.
Now word of the problems surrounding the movie is beginning to come out as THR reports on the matter.
It's said Suicide Squad had "Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety" with the article going futher in depth:
• One WB exec is quoted as saying "better late than never."
• Used a director, David Ayer, untested in tentpole movies.
• Too rushed (script was done by Ayer in six weeks).
• Mutiptile and competing cuts of the film in part due to an early test screening as well as reaction to the trailers (needed to be more fun and light, and less somber than Ayer's version).
• Too much studio intervention (unclear what it means to be the actual director on the movie).
• WB let Ayer pursue his original vision, but Warners set about working on a different cut at the same time working with the company that put out the trailer.
• A source with ties to Suicide Squad says they would have been better off giving Ayer more time to work.
• WB was nervous from the start and became extremely rattled and even more nervous following the reaction to Batman Vs. Superman (which also had editing and cuts issues).
• WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara "was really pissed about damage to the brand," following the reception to Batman Vs. Superman.
• Mutilple editors.
• Another sources describe the "fraught process": "a lot of panic and ego instead of calmly addressing the tonal issue."
• The demands by WB started to bother Ayer: He fired and rehired his management team; WB didn't pick up his Will Smith Bright movie which went to Netflix with Ayer getting a massive $90 million.
• The article does note Ayer was on board with the process as Ayer and WB released a joint statement: "This was an amazing experience. We did a lot of experimentation and collaboration along the way. But we are both very proud of the result. This is a David Ayer film, and Warners is proud to present it."
• Suicide Squad needs to make $750-800 million to be a success.
David Ayer also took to Twitter to address the critical reviews stating he's proud of the movie and did it for the fans.
Prefiero morir de pie que vivir de rodillas - Emiliano Zapata— David Ayer (@DavidAyerMovies) August 2, 2016
Zapata quote is my way of saying I love the movie and believe in it. Made it for the fans. Best experience of my life.— David Ayer (@DavidAyerMovies) August 2, 2016
"Suicide Squad" has an August 5, 2016 release date directed by David Ayer starring Will Smith as Deadshot, Jared Leto as the Joker, Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, Cara Delevingne as Enchantress, Jai Courtney as Boomerang, Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag, Viola Davis as Amanda Waller, Adam Beach as Slipknot, Karen Fukuhara as Katana, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Killer Croc, Jay Hernandez as El Diablo, and Scott Eastwood in an unknown role.
It feels good to be bad… Assemble a team of the world’s most dangerous, incarcerated Supervillains, provide them with the most powerful arsenal at the government’s disposal, and send them off on a mission to defeat an enigmatic, insuperable entity. U.S. intelligence officer Amanda Waller has determined only a secretly convened group of disparate, despicable individuals with next to nothing to lose will do. However, once they realize they weren’t picked to succeed but chosen for their patent culpability when they inevitably fail, will the Suicide Squad resolve to die trying, or decide it’s every man for himself?