Matt Ryan Disappointed Constantine Isn't Returning
Following the news that Constantine won't be picked up by another network - signaling the show's demise - series lead Matt Ryan has taken to Twitter to voice his disappointment and thank fans.
"Very disappointed that we are not continuing this journey, will miss playing john. You guys never gave up, I thank you all," tweeted Ryan.
Showrunner Daniel Cerone announced a couple of days ago that following NBC's decision to not move forward with Season 2, that no other network had picked up Constantine.
"The cast and writers of Constantine are being released from their contracts," Cerone said in part a previous statement. "The studio tried to find a new home for the show, for which we're forever grateful, but those efforts didn't pan out."
NBC executives previously cited live ratings as the reason for cancelling Constantine; however, the ratings were higher than most of the DC shows on the CW, but as to why Constantine didn't end up on the CW network is unknown. Likewise, Constantine could have found a new home on NBC's sister network, SyFy, but it's also unknown why that didn't happen.
Perhaps with Constantine now officially over, details as to how the series was going to move forward will become known as Season 1 ended on a cliffhanger. A few scripts from additional Season 1 episodes of Constantine also exist that didn't get a chance to air, which were going to be spun into Season 2. At one time, it was even said plans for a Spectre spinoff were being talked about.
Very disappointed that we are not continuing this journey,will miss playing john. You guys never gave up, I thank you all #Constantine— Matt Ryan (@mattryanreal) June 10, 2015