The other day saw a second batch of Sony documents leaked online as a result of the earlier North Korean hack.
Now what looks to be a licensing agreement between Marvel and Sony listing mandatory movie characteristics for both Spider-Man and Peter Parker has hit the net.
The document does reveal that "Spider-Man" can be black (or whatever ethnicity), but that "Peter Parker" must be white.
The document also allows for a gay Spider-Man as long as Marvel first portrayed the alter ego of the character that way first.
It probably should be noted the document/agreement may not be valid anymore as it was created in 2011, and Sony and Marvel may have come to a new deal with their joint venture.
What the licensing agreement essentially does is limit Sony's creative control over the character, which makes sense as Spider-Man is owned by Marvel.
Here is the list of the mandatory character traits:
Mandatory Spider-Man Character Traits: Spider-Man (whether Peter Parker or an alternate Spider-Man character) must always strictly conform to the following "Mandatory Character Traits":
• Does not torture
• Does not kill unless in defense of self or others
• Does not use foul language beyond PG-13
• Does not smoke tobacco
• Does not sell/distribute illegal drugs
• Does Not abuse alcohol
• Does not have sex before the age of 16, does not have sex with anyone below the age of 16
• Not a homosexual (unless Marvel has portrayed that alter ego as a homosexual)
Peter Parker traits. Depiction of Peter Parker or his Spider-Man alter ego must conform to the following character traits:
• His full name is Peter Benjamin Parker.
• He is Caucasian and heterosexual.
• His parents become absent from his life during his childhood.
• From the time his parents become absent he is raised by Aunt May and Uncle Ben in New York City.
• He gains his powers while attending either middle school or college.
• He gains his powers from being bitten by a spider.
• He designs his first red and blue costume.
• The black costume is a symbiotic and not designed by him.
• He is raised in a middle class household in Queens, New York.
• He attends or attended high school in Queens, New York, and he attends or attended college in New York City, New York.