Thirty years after the iconic brand’s debut, Hasbro, Inc. is introducing its best-loved animated pop stars, JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS, to a new audience in 2015. Incorporating all the glamour, glitter, fashion, and fame of the classic 1980s series, the JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS brand will release this October a feature film adaptation and dynamic global lifestyle licensing program spanning toys, publishing, fashion, and beauty products.
Opening nationwide on October 23, Universal Pictures’ live-action, motion-picture adaptation of iconic JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS reimagined for a whole new generation. In JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS, four aspiring musicians will take the world by storm when they see that the key to creating your own identity lies in finding your own voice. The film is produced by Hasbro’s Allspark Pictures Banner, Blumhouse Productions, Scooter Braun Productions, directed by Jon M. Chu, and stars Aubrey Peeples.
“Along with the fun fashion and awesome music, the notion of being true to yourself has always been the heart of JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS story, and that theme is just as relevant today as it was 30 years ago,” said Simon Waters, General Manager, SVP of Entertainment and Licensing, Hasbro. “Combining the nostalgic pop culture appeal of the brand with a modern vision of JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS, we’re thrilled to introduce this brand to a new audience around the world and tell a fresh story that will resonate with fans of all ages.”
In conjunction with the film release, Hasbro has teamed up with industry leaders to create exclusive, special-edition themed collections that will appeal to both new and longtime JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS fans. Taking direct inspiration from the brand’s legacy makeup and fashions, as well as its rich storylines and colorful cast of characters, the licensing program includes:
• Sephora + JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS Collection: A special-edition, high performance cosmetic collection captures the legacy of the JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS brand in a playful, four-piece set – eye shadow palette, liquid lip set, florescent lipstick, and compact mirror – that’s reminiscent of the 1980s animated series, known as much for its outrageously cool look as for its music.
• Shopbop: An exclusive collection of apparel, accessories and jewelry features a modern take on the glitter and glam that defined JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS and its ‘80s rock sensibility. A special-edition JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS legacy doll rounds out the fun and flashy assortment.
• Manic Panic: Four bold, semi-permanent hair dyes inspired by each member of the JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS band, which will pay homage to the distinctive hair colors that each character donned.
• Integrity Toys: The JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS legacy collection expands to include an all new cast of premium, collectible dolls, featuring fresh new JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS fashion dolls and fan favorite characters like director Anthony Julian and drummer Craig Phillips, and more. Each character in the collection sports superior engineering, high-end aesthetics, and ultra-detailed clothing and accessories.
• IDW Publishing: The ongoing comic series introduces the beloved JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS characters as 21st century stars, bringing a colorful world full of fashion, glamour, action, and style to life through modern storylines and stylized artwork.
The animated JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS series ran from 1985-1988 in first-run syndication and still boasts a loyal and vocal fan base. The series follows Jerrica Benton, whose discovery of Synergy, a powerful computer companion, allows her to transform from co-owner of Starlight Music into a rock star. Teaming with her sister and best friends who form JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS, they set out to make their musical dreams come true, even as she battles against the ruthless Eric Raymond and his musical protégés The Misfits.
"Jem and the Holograms" has a October 23, 2015 release directed by Jon M. Chu starring Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, Aurora Perrineau, Hayley Kiyoko, Ryan Guzman, Molly Ringwald and Juliette Lewis.
As a small-town girl catapults from underground video sensation to global superstar, she and her three sisters begin a one-in-a-million journey of discovering that some talents are too special to keep hidden. In Universal Pictures' Jem and the Holograms, four aspiring musicians will take the world by storm when they see that the key to creating your own destiny lies in finding your own voice.