By all accounts the movie is going to be one heck of an action-packed ride, so much so, that Warner Bros. has already green lit a sequel.
Now, Guillermo del Toro gives us a play-by-play of what went down in the trailer in the following video, speaking with MTV.
He talks about the back story of the movie and sets it up; if you don't want to know anything, be warned -- there are spoilers.
Following the video you can check out some of the highlights of what was said.
Pacific Rim opens July 12th, 2013, directed by Guillermo del Toro, starring Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, and Ron Perlman.
[[wysiwyg_imageupload:4676:]]• The Kaiju have a very toxic effect (which we've heard before: their decomposing bodies melt cities)
• Regarding the geological fault at the bottom of the ocean that the Kaiju come through, you are going to see the interdimensional portal above that
• We will see what's on the other side of the portal
• The trailer reveals the first attack ever by a Kaiju in San Francisco
• The whole movie is about scale, and Guillermo del Toro wanted to show what the tip of a nail of a Kaiju could do
• The pilots of the Jaegers wear suits that are neurally linked to the robots; they have a spinal clamp that links their two spines; relay gel in their helmets transmits their impulses to one another, so they move in synchronicity; one of them is handling the neural network on the left side with the other the right side, and they are connected between them
• The Russian and Chinese Yaegers are shown, the idea for Guillermo del Toro is to create a movie that would make his head explode if he was 12, but at the same time treat it visually like it was an adult movie
• Charlie [Hunnam] and Rinko [Kikuchi] become friends on base, they both lost everything to the Kaiju
• Guillermo del Toro hopes people watching get the experience of what it takes to drive a Jaeger
• He says he love this trailer, but it's like the trailer for Howard's End next to what the movie is going to deliver!
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes - a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) - who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind's last hope against the mounting apocalypse.