Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Has Less Characters & Gunn Nixed A New One
In addition to James Gunn finishing the script for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Chris Pratt stating the story brought him to tears, new details are learned about the sequel.
James Gunn has been using the new Periscope App as of late and answered a bunch of questions about Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
Screen Rant jotted down some of the answers with the most notable being Gunn mentioning Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will actually have less characters.
Gunn, who removed Richard Rider Nova from the Nicole Perlman's first Guardians of the Galaxy script, also lets it be known he removed another character for this movie. He confirms instead of two new characters, there will only be one (assumed to be a Guardian).
“People ask for so many characters to be in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and they ask for so many actors who they want to be in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but we actually have less characters in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 than we have in Guardians of the Galaxy 1 because everything is just getting too sprawling and too crazy for me in these superhero comic book movies. And also in superhero comics in general. There’s just too many characters so you can’t concentrate on one and really get to know that character, and I really want to get to know the characters that we know better, and yeah, we will be introducing a new character…”
“I did not get any help with the first draft of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 other than I wrote a scriptment which I’ve been working on for nine months, and I wrote that very, very in-depth scriptment which is a 70-page combination of a script and a treatment and it goes through every beat of the movie, everything, and I’ve been going through that and showing that to [Marvel Studios Boss] Kevin [Feige] and getting feedback and seeing what worked and what didn’t, what characters work, what didn’t. I mean, people will be disappointed – at some point I’ll release – but I had another big character in my original draft and it was just getting too busy. I took that character out. And it’s a character I like a lot and hope to work with in the future but I just didn’t have room for that person, that character.”
Some other tidbits Gunn mentioned include:
• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is "not forced to fit in puzzle pieces from other creators nor is it required to serve as setup for Avengers: Infinity War."
• The Guardians movies don't follow the comics too close because a lot of the Marvel Cosmic characters aren't owned by Marvel Studios.
• The five core Guardians are returning along with Yondu, Nebula and Kraglin.
• It hasn't been mentioned whether the Nova Corps will be involved.
• Star-Lord's father has not been cast, yet.
• Scott Chambliss is the new production designer (known for Abram Star Trek movies, Mission Impossible).
• Guardians is the most standalone series Marvel has.
• Gunn said he is going to wait until after Guardians 2 to decide if he will do Guardians of the Galaxy 3.
• Gunn also again said on Facebook that the Hulk isn't involved.
"Guardians of the Galaxy 2" has a May 5, 2017 release.