First Telltale Batman Video Game Details Revealed
A few months ago saw it announced that TellTales Games is developing a new Batman video game, with an announcement trailer released (watch below).
Now new details about the Batman game have come to light from the recent SXSW (via IGN):
• The TellTale Games Batman game will take place in modern day Gotham.
• It will not be tied into any existing Batman adaptation in comics, films or games.
• The story will focus on both Bruce Wayne and Batman.
• Player decisions will shape the city Bruce encounters in daylight, and the criminals Batman encounters at night.
• Don't expect to see Robin or Nightwing.
• Key secondary characters will be featured such as Alfred, James Gordon and Vicky Vale.
• Specific villains are presently unknown.
• The series will feature a non-photorealistic interpretation of the Batman universe to deliver a more seamless living comic book art direction.
• The game will be rated Mature.
• CEO of Telltale, Kevin Bruner, also previously offered up to Kotaku: "Our Batman series is looking fantastic. I think it might become one of the best things we’ve ever done. I can’t go into much detail, but the Batman team is amazing and they are really on top of it. It’s not like any other Batman game out there. This game really explores all aspects of Batman, not just the the “fighting in the suit” side of him. There’s a lot of subplots to explore and some really amazing choices that have a big impact on the story being told. I really think it might be the peak of the mountain for us so far."
• The Batman game will debut this Summer.
The TellTale Games blog also offered similar details and released an image of the script:
• Batman is the perfect character for the studio to explore in a Telltale series, giving the team the opportunity to dive deeper into the mind of the man behind the mask. Each night, Bruce Wayne chooses to change Gotham for the better. The team wants to explore what the consequences are of the player’s actions when decisions made as Bruce have a critical impact on his nightly crusade as Batman, and vice versa. Certain key situations will give the player the decision to approach a scene as Bruce or Batman, with consequences for both sides.
• Fresh interpretation of the universe set in current times, not tied to any existing iteration of Batman in games, film, or comics. Story will focus on Bruce and Batman, not an examination of the extended 'Bat-family,' (Robin, Nightwing, etc.) Fans can expect certain series staples such as Alfred Pennyworth, Vicki Vale, James Gordon, and Renee Montoya. Telltale is looking to keep the villains more tightly under wraps until closer to the premiere.
• Certain characters will have a deeply personal relationship with Bruce in his private life, and decisions made as Bruce or Batman will affect their paths towards corruption or redemption.
• The player's actions will help shape the Gotham that Bruce deals with during the day, as well as the criminals that Batman faces at night.
• Team is committing to a non-photorealistic interpretation of the universe, enhancing engine and technology to deliver a more seamless living comic book art direction. Taking inspiration from the works of over 75 years of artists such as Jim Lee, Greg Capullo, and Neal Adams.
• Like some other Telltale series, the game will be landing at M (Mature 17+) rating, and the cinematic approach will feel more akin to an R-rated film.
TellTale Games Batman announce teaser: