The "DOC's" Top Of The Pile
By: Chris "DOC" Bushley
( A weekly quick pick of the five titles that should reside at the top of your pull list. IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER! )
I do the research, you reap the reward! Before you head out to your favorite shop today, be sure to add these five titles to your list of goodies! Forget that "apple a day" nonsense, this "DOC's" prescription to good health starts with these top five books of the week!
1. The Answer #1(Dark Horse): This debut issue from writer Dennis Hopeless (Avenger's Arena) will give you everything BUT answers! An amalgam wrapped in an enigma, this tale follows a highly intellectual research librarian as she dodges bullets after she solves a puzzle box she received for a birthday present. But it doesn't stop there! It also contains an evangelistic proponent for world chaos, mercenaries and a costumed hero! But, what does it all mean? I have know idea, but I NEED to find out!
2. X-O Manowar #9 (Valiant): This issue is the "Prelude to Death Planet" storyline that promises to bring devastation to the Valiant Universe. But, this isn't just a "set-up" issue that relaxes and lulls you into safety before the big event. This story sets the stage and the tone for what's to come, bringing intriguing plot threads and all out action like you've never seen before! Plus, the "shock" ending will have you chomping at the bit for next month! Bring it on!
3. Masks #3 (Dynamite): Who doesn't love pulp fiction, crime noir tales? That's right, NOBODY! Well, you need look no further to get your gritty little hands on one of the coolest books around! Why just choose one pulp hero to follow when you can have all the greats in a single title? That's right, Chris Roberson and, superstar cover artist, Alex Ross have come together with a great tale that brings everyone together. You get The Green Hornet, Kato, The Spider, The Shadow, Zorro and many, many more for just one low price! It's like the Justice League with cigar stains and fedoras! So, put on your smoking jacket and nestle into your study with a copy of Masks!
4. Green Lantern #16 (DC): The "Rise Of The Third Army" tale has been slow paced at it's worst and completely unnerving at it's best. This week sees GL Baz finally get a little control over his ring with the help of GL B'DG! That's right, folks, as we wait for the return of Rocket Raccoon, why not hang out with the coolest squirrel in the Universe! All kidding aside, this is a great story that solidifies Baz as a true Green Lantern and answers a lot of questions from previous issues! And you find out why he has a gun! Sweet!
5. Uncanny X-Force #1 (Marvel): Sadly, Rick Remender's run on this fantastic book is over. So, what better way to celebrate the fantastic new creative team of Stan Humphries and Ron Garney than with a shiny new number one issue! Even though I cannot stand all the re-numberings, this issue is pitch perfect for all those X fans clamoring for some nostalgia. This new version has Psylocke, Fantomex, Cluster, Spiral, Puck and Storm rocking her ol' mohawk! Yes, I said mohawk, kids! Like back when she was the leader of the Morlocks?! Oh well, at least Byron Brewer will know what I'm talking about! Anyway, put on your roller skates and crank up some Joan Jett, it's about to get retro in here! Plus, the final page gives new meaning to the phrase, "You gotta love yourself" -- ewwwww!