Update: The final numbers have come in and are a tad bit less than anticipated: Batman Vs. Superman had a $166.1 million domestic opening with a worldwide total of $420.1 million. The only record below that it changes is that BVS doesn't beat Harry Potter.
Zack Snyder's Batman vs. Superman dominates at the box office this weekend breaking all kinds of records for Warner Bros. with a worldwide gross of $424.1 million.
Batman Vs. Superman has now set a new U.S. record for best March opening, best Spring opening and best Easter opening, and sets records for WB's best U.S opening and best DC Comics movie opening with $170.1 million. The film also scored the best super hero movie opening ever.
• Batman Vs. Superman tops the opening March record previously held by The Hunger Games ($152.5 million).
Batman Vs. Superman tops WB's domestic opening record previously held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 ($169.1 million).
• Batman Vs. Superman tops Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises record opening of $160.8 million, which was the previous best for any DC movie.
• Batman vs. Superman topped last year's Furious 7 Easter record opening of $147.1 million.
• Batman Vs. Superman also stuck it to the critics over at Rotten Tomatoes (currently at 29%) as Zack Snyder's "Dawn of Justice" managed to outperform the now defunct fact that no film with a rating lower than 63% on the site had ever opened over $150 million.
• Batman Vs. Superman topped The Avengers $392.5 million opening for super hero films.
Batman Vs. Superman also scored the fifth best opening internationally bringing in $254 million, and the worldwide gross gives it the fourth best opening ever overall. The movie did well enough in China ($57 million), giving WB its best opening ever in the land of the rising sun. The international opening was also the best ever for any Zack Snyder, Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill film.
It's now specualted Batman Vs. Superman will cross the billion dollar mark.
WB released the following statement:
“Anticipation has been building with movie fans everywhere for ‘Batman v Superman’ and the buzz has been nothing short of amazing,” said Warner Bros. President of Worldwide Marketing and Distribution. “This tremendous result at the box office is a tribute to the cinematic world that Zack Snyder has created to bring these two iconic heroes together, and it’s so gratifying that audiences everywhere are enjoying it."
"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" is directed by Zack Snyder starring Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, Jeremy Irons as Alfred, Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Ray Fisher as Cyborg with Callan Mulvey, Holly Hunter as Senator Finch and Tao Okamoto as Mercy Graves.
Fearing the actions of a god-like Super Hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.