The few names that have been rumored for Lex Luthor in Batman Vs. Superman are all above the age of 50.
With online speculation running rampant that Lex Luthor will be wearing Zod's armor to take on Batman and Superman in the movie, wouldn't it make more sense to have a younger actor in the role to look the more the physical part?
Byran Cranston - age 57
Mark Strong - age 50
Tom Hanks - age 57
Terry O'Quinn - age 61
Cosmic Book News has put together a list of younger actors who might fit.
[[wysiwyg_imageupload:12288:]]1. Jake Gyllenhaal (age 32) - Let's go back to the Warner Bros. pool of superheroes as they did for Lois Lane and Superman. Both Amy Adams and Henry Cavill were up for Lois and Superman previous to Man of Steel, respectively. While Kevin Spacey was the only Lex Luthor actor for Superman Returns, how about another Batman actor? Jake Gyllenhaal could fit the bill and has already sported the bald look.
2. Armie Hammer (age 27) - Hammer is currently teaming with Henry Cavill in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and was up for Batman as well in the 2008 defunct Justice League movie. Shave his head and now he's a bad guy! Hammer stands 6'5" and would make for a formidable Lex Luthor vs. Superman. Plus Armie Hammer has played the rich bad guy role in The Social Network.
3. Joaquin Phoenix (age 39) - Played the bad guy in Gladiator; played Johnny Cash; the guy can do it all. Plus he has that mad power hungry look to fit Luthor. And the guy is just cool as hell.
4. Leonardo DiCaprio (age 39) - Back to the WB talent pool again as reportedly DiCaprio was wanted by the WB execs as the Riddler for Nolan's The Dark Knight Trilogy. DiCaprio would be a huge name for the movie. And hey, maybe Luthor doesn't have to be bald.
5. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (age 32) - JGL's name has been associated with every role under the sun in Hollywood, so why not Lex Luthor? The guy is a heck of an actor and has sported the bald look as well. Maybe he's been turning down all the superhero roles to play the part of a bad guy.
6. Matt Damon (age 43) - Probably the most obvious choice to play Lex Luthor seeing his relationship with Ben Affleck. The two go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly. Damon and Affleck are best friends and distant cousins. Damon also landed a small role in Christopher Nolan's Interstellar which can't be a coincidence. Could it be that Damon has already landed the role of Lex Luthor and everybody's being fed a bunch of follow-the-yellow-brick-road?!