Check out a new cover for the DC Relaunch of Action Comics #1, which I'm guessing is a variant, unless they pulled a switcheroo similar to the Green Lantern cover. The first AC cover revealed follows below.
This was released at the NY Post, with some comments from writer Grant Morrison on the new look.
"This is a young Superman who still believes a better world for everyone is possible," said Morrison. "We felt it was time for the big adventures of a 21st-century Paul Bunyan who fights for the weak and downtrodden against bullies of all kinds, from robot invaders and crime lords to corrupt city officials. The new look reflects his status as a street-level defender of the ordinary man and woman."
Another tidbit: Morrison's Superman was also inspired by The Boss himself - Bruce Springsteen, hence the jeans and boots look.
The Post article suggests Morrison's Action Comics is going to take place prior to Superman by George Perez, I take it. They say, "[Action Comics] show[s] how Clark Kent becomes the world's foremost superhero and how he got his iconic costume."
And I believe Superman by George Perez features the costume from the get go (correct me if I am wrong in the comments below).
Back to the image, this boots and jeans thing is going to take some time getting used to.
Update: The DC Blog The Source released the following info:
He has been called the Man of Steel, the Last Son of Krypton and a strange visitor from a distant planet.
He is Superman, the Man of Tomorrow. As part of DC COMICS – THE NEW 52, this September will usher in a new Superman for the new century.
In the pages of ACTION COMICS, writer Grant Morrison and artist Rags Morales will present humanity’s first encounters with Superman, before he became one of the World’s Greatest Super Heroes. Set a few years in the past, it’s a bold new take on a classic hero.
* This Superman is very much an alien, one struggling to adjust to his adopted home. In the series, he must come to terms with both the loss of his home world, as well as the loss of both of his adopted parents. He is more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas. He’s a loner trying to find his place in the world.
* The series’ first storyline will explore the origins of Superman’s costume, as it evolves from a look that includes jeans and work boots to a new look: a suit of battle armor that pays tribute to his Kryptonian past.
* His great powers have limits. When the series begins, Superman can leap tall buildings, but his ability to fly is in its infancy.
And in the SUPERMAN ongoing comic book series, by writer George Perez and artist Jesus Merino, will be set in present day continuity and will unleash a series of new challenges for Superman and his alter ego Clark Kent.
* Clark Kent is single and living on his own. He has never been married.
* Lois Lane is dating a colleague at the DAILY PLANET (and his name isn’t Clark Kent) and she has a new position with the paper.
Timeless and modern, classic and contemporary, but younger, brasher and more brooding, this is Superman. The New Man of Tomorrow.
ACTION COMICS issue 1 goes on sale on September 7 and SUPERMAN issue 1 goes on sale September 28.
Head on over to the Cosmic Book News DC Relaunch: News Hub for the official list of titles and creators, plus more news.