COVER SHOOT: The Top Five Comic Covers For 9/25/13
By: Chris "DOC" Bushley
This weekly feature will take a look at THE most visually compelling comic book covers on the market today. Whether they be rare variant editions or just your standard fare, these are the top 5 covers that stand out amidst the bevy of books released each week. They say, "A picture is worth a thousand words" but these covers are worth more than that! No matter the storylines behind them, these covers compel you to at least check them out, which can be worth exponentially more than just words to the companies that publish them! Enjoy!
1. Artifacts #31 (Image): A stunning cosmic cover that exudes beauty, power and awesomeness! Stjephan Sejic is a true master of blending comic book concepts with high-res digital art to form perfect covers that astound the eye. This cover is so pristine that you can almost feel her fury crackle off the page!
2. Avengers Assemble #19 (Marvel): Jorge Molina is no stranger to drawing the female for but this cover transcends all his pervious attempts! A culmination of pencil, paint and great graphic design, this cover tells the story in a single image and yet, forces the eye to go beyond the central image and take in the gorgeous detail of the astounding background. Amazing stuff to behold!
3. Hellraiser: Dark Watch Vol. 1 TPB - Variant Edition- (BOOM! Studios): Not to be outdone by his color savvy competitors, Tom Garcia creates a beautifully eerie cover that is truly a work of art. The precise pencil lines make this cover pop off the page but it is the subtle blending of shadow and background images that make it so wonderful. It is an image that is both rich and haunting and is sure to be a stand out amongst it's brethren.
4. Ame-Comi Girls Vol.1 (DC): Amanda Conner has a special place in the heart of the CBN offices and covers like this one is the reason why! Bleached background, graphic design and a simple layout image, combine to make a cover that is unlike anything else you will find on the shelves this week. Some may say that it too plain, too simplistic but anyone can plainly see that it is simply fantastic!
5. Guardians of the Galaxy #6 (Marvel): Say what you want about the writing, but this cover art will blow you away! Sara Pichelli gives us a classic comic cover layout with perfect lines and a color palette that dazzles the eyes. Strong and imposing, Sara's Angela image is pitch perfect and I couldn't ask for anything more. Well, maybe a story that is on caliber with this poster worthy, but that's about it!