COVER SHOOT: The Top 5 Comic Book Covers for November 13th, 2013
By: Chris "DOC" Bushley
This weekly feature will take a look at THE most visually compelling comic book covers on the market today. Whether they be rare variant editions or just your standard fare, these are the top 5 covers that stand out amidst the bevy of books released each week. They say, "A picture is worth a thousand words" but these covers are worth more than that! No matter the storylines behind them, these covers compel you to at least check them out, which can be worth exponentially more than just words to the companies that publish them! Enjoy!
1. Coffin Hill #2 (Vertigo/DC): This stunning cover by Dave Johnson is not only beautiful but hauntingly eerie as well. The deep purple and maroon background are the perfect complement to the bright foreground figure. It makes it seem that she was cut form another work of art and overlaid to this one, each piece having merit in their own right, but together make something extraordinarily wonderful!
2. X-Men Gold #1 (Variant Edition) (Marvel): John Cassady makes a classic throwback cover to the early days of the X-Men in this 50 year anniversary book of Marvel's merry mutants! The layout has that perfect nostalgic feel of the team diving into battle, young and innocent, with no regrets. But, it is Cassady's decision to use pop art style design for the background that gives this cover that Jim Steranko feel, and no one can beat that!
3. Harbinger #18 (Valiant): Matthew Walsh creates an amazingly surreal cover that is compositionally perfect. The way Walsh "bleeds" the tendrils from the Bleeding Monk into the caverns of Peter Stancheck's mind not only makes for an outstanding effect, but also metaphorically matches the relationship these two characters have with one another. The choice of minimal colors draws the eye away form everything else on the racks today -- perfect!
4. Batman: Li'l Gotham #8 (DC): I don't even know where to begin with this one! Dustin Nguyen creates some of the most artistic and fun covers on the market today and this is just one more awesome piece! There are so many parts for the eye to enjoy, the vibrant colors, the amazingly rendered characters, mermaids, the pirate ship etc. I could go on and on! This piece is not only poster worthy, but gallery worthy. Whomever says "toon" art isn't art, is too stuck up to know what true art is!
5. Batgirl #25 (DC): As frequent readers of this article know, Alex Garner has been present on this list more than a few times. Is there any reason why he shouldn't be? This painted and digitally enhanced cover is essentially perfect. The strain and determination on the central characters face sets the pace for what takes place in the interior of the book and helps to bring a glimpse of humanity to an otherwise dark and gloomy city! Alex we NEED posters!!