Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome Spoilers
io9 got a sneak peak at the script for SYFY channel's upcoming Battlestar Galactica prequel, Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome.
Blood and Chrome sounds more similar to the darky and gritty Battlestar Galactica (Yeah!) and less to Caprica, which it replaces. B&C sees a cocky young Adama, scoring at the top of his class, who is assigned to a secret mission that involves getting close to Cylon space. Things go wrong as he, his new partner (Coker Fasjovik) and their cargo (scientist Dr. Beka Kelly) crash land on an ice planet.
Here are some of the highlights - Spoilers, ahoy!
- Adama is a cocky young pilot who gets the top score in his class eager to go out to battle.
- Raptor pilot, Jaycie McGavin, has a year experience doesn't like his attitude - or the other marines as they are all gun-ho watching war films - including images of a brand new looking Battlestar Galactica. Adama hits on McGavin and she responds with the only action from a girl he will get is -- and points to Galactica.
- The Galactica is shown with Viper ships and support ships flying around. It's no longer brand new looking, it's a war torn vessel. Adama says, "Gods, damn" and heads for the Galactica hanger bay.
- There, Adama is disappointed when he is assigned to a Raptor, not a Viper, and compares it to driving an old bus. The Raptor's Electronic Countermeasures Officer, Coker Fasjovik, enters the scene and doesn't like his attitude - as Coker loves the "old bird." Coker is Adam's new partner.
- Coker gives Adama the call-sign, "Husker." Not because Adama is from the corn-belt, as Adama is from the big city (Caprica City), but because he is as dumb as a farm boy. Coker is also worried that Adam's attitude will get them killed.
- Adama and Coker are called by Commander Silas Nash ("the old man") for a secret mission involving the transport of special cargo. Coker has a flask sticking out of his uniform when Adama makes the save, with the flask going unnoticed.
- The special cargo is actually Dr. Beka Kelly, a computer scientist involved in designing the last of the man-made Cyclons. The Dr. reveals she is on a super secret mission that no one knows about - and they need to head to Cylon space for a rendevous point.
- The mission goes horribly wrong as the three are stranded on an ice planet. There Adama and Coker have it out, but eventually become friends. They need to decide what to do about Dr. Beka Kelly.
From the offical press release:
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome takes place in the 10th year of the first Cylon war. As the battle between humans and their creation, a sentient robotic race, rages across the 12 colonial worlds, a brash rookie viper pilot enters the fray. Ensign William Adama, barely in his 20's and a recent Academy graduate, finds himself assigned to the newest battlestar in the Colonial fleet... the Galactica. The talented but hot-headed risk-taker soon finds himself leading a dangerous top secret mission that, if successful, will turn the tide of the decade long war in favor of the desperate fleet.